The Indian Premier League (IPL) 2023 has witnessed intense competition among the ten franchises over the past two months, showcasing remarkable batting performances. This season saw the emergence of uncapped batters Yashasvi Jaiswal and Prabhsimran Singh, who scored centuries, alongside established stars like Virat Kohli and Shubman Gill, who each recorded two centuries.
Ahead of the Gujarat Titans’ Qualifier 2 against the Mumbai Indians, former cricketer Virender Sehwag shared his selection of the top five batters in the IPL, a mix of experienced and emerging talent who left a lasting impact in the tournament.
“Mere 5 Cricket’s Pandavas. My pick for five batters in the IPL. I have not picked many openers because they get a lot of opportunities. The first batter who comes to my mind is Rinku Singh. I don’t think you would ask me the reason because it has never happened that a batter has won the team a match by hitting five straight sixes. Only Rinku Singh has done it. The second middle-order batter is Shivam Dube. He has hit 33 sixes; his strike rate is over 160. The last few seasons have not been special, but this year, he came with a clear mindset that he must come and hit sixes,” Virender Sehwag said on Cricbuzz.
“The third is a brilliant opener. I must take his name because his brilliant batting has forced me to pick him up. Yashasvi Jaiswal. Then comes SKY. I am taking Suryakumar Yadav’s name because he was not in form. In international cricket, he was getting zeroes. In IPL also, he was not doing well at the start, but then he started doing well. Last, I can pick anybody by doing a toss because there are so many. But I will pick another middle-order batter, and his name is Heinrich Klaasen. The team he was playing for (SRH), he was batting for them in the middle order, and he made the most runs. His ability to hit against spin and pace is rarely seen in a foreign player.” Further stated.
1. Rinku Singh gained recognition for his exceptional performance in a match where he single-handedly secured victory for his team by hitting five consecutive sixes—an accomplishment unmatched by any other batter in IPL history.
2. Sehwag included Shivam Dube as his second pick for the top five batters. Dube’s explosive batting style, his strike rate of over 160, and an impressive tally of 33 sixes make him a formidable force in the middle order.
3. Sehwag couldn’t help but acknowledge the brilliance of young opener Yashasvi Jaiswal, who forced his way into the esteemed list with his outstanding batting displays. Jaiswal’s consistent performances at the top of the order caught Sehwag’s attention, showcasing his talent and potential as a future star.
4. Despite initially struggling for form, Suryakumar Yadav’s perseverance and impressive comeback secured him a spot in Sehwag’s list. Yadav endured a challenging phase in international cricket, encountering a series of low scores.
5. Sehwag’s final selection was Heinrich Klaasen, an overseas middle-order batter known for his versatility and ability to adapt to different conditions. Playing for the Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH), Klaasen emerged as their leading run-scorer in the middle order, impressing Sehwag with his capability to handle both spin and pace effectively.