On Monday, the 62nd match of IPL 2023 between Gujarat Titans and Sunrisers Hyderabad became memorable in terms of records. In this match, there was an equal clash of bat and ball. Gujarat Titans opener Shubman Gill shook the record books by scoring his first IPL century, and then the fast bowlers changed IPL history by spreading their fire.
A total of 17 wickets fell in the match between Gujarat Titans and Sunrisers Hyderabad. All these wickets went to the account of the fast bowlers. With this, a very special record was created. This is the first time in IPL history that fast bowlers have taken the maximum number of wickets. Hyderabad bowlers took a total of 8 wickets in the match, while Gujarat bowlers took a total of 9 wickets.
Four teams jointly held earlier this record. First, such a wonderful thing happened in the Kochi Tuskers and Deccan Chargers match. In this match played in Kochi in 2011, the fast bowlers took a total of 15 wickets.
Gujarat vs Hyderabad became the first match in IPL history where three bowlers took four or more wickets in an inning. Bhuvneshwar Kumar (30/5), Mohammed Shami (21/4) and Mohit Sharma (28/4) did the trick. At the same time, this became the third time in the IPL that two bowlers took four wickets in an innings.
Most wickets taken by fast bowlers in one IPL match
- 17 – Gujarat v Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, 2023*
- 15 – Kochi vs Deccan, Kochi, 2011
- 15 – Chennai vs Bangalore, Chennai, 2015
- 15 – Hyderabad vs Delhi, Hyderabad, 2019
- 15 – Gujarat v Kolkata, Mumbai, 2022
Four wicket haul by two bowlers in an IPL innings
- Munaf Patel (28/4) and Kieron Pollard (44/4), Mumbai v Rajasthan, Wankhede, 2012
- Mitchell Starc (15/4) and Srinath Aravind (27/4), Bangalore vs Punjab, Bangalore, 2015
- Mohammed Shami (20/4) and Mohit Sharma (28/4), Gujarat v Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, 2023*